Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Byrd

Yesterday whilst coming back from the 107 coffee shop after lunch with U. David n mum, we walked by the playground between 108 n 109. U. David saw something in the grass and thought it was just yellow leaves. But you know me, being curious n all, went in for a closer look. It was a bird! A fledgling to be exact. Not just skin but with feathers. It looked like it tried to fly the coop early and the only direction it went was down. What we believe to be the parents were circling above together with some crows. Now, I know the parents were looking for their chick but I also knew that when they found it they wouldn't be able to bring it back up to the nest. And me thinks the crows were hungry too. It was screwed!

So, we brought it home. It new nest is a shallow box lined with paper towels. Mum feeds it a concoction of rice n water, a kinda watery porridge. I suggested egg yolk. It now takes to feeding from a plastic spoon although i think a dropper or syringe (without the needle of course) would work better.

Fed it twice yesterday and so far once this morning. I don't know much about keeping birds and have been fervently looking for ideas online. Any help from you guys n gals out there would be deeply appreciated. Also, it either a Black naped Oriole or Golden Oriole.

But I must say, it makes for a damn good model.














No comments: